Running With My Darling Husband

I am so very proud of my husband. He has been working hard at the gym for many months now. He has also been eating better. He wants to have a positive impact on the rest of his life and be an example to his children. That is the same reason I started running. Although the weight is not coming off as quickly as he would like, he hasn't given up hope. He really is inspiring.


David and I rarely get a chance to work out together. I usually go to the gym at 5am and he goes at 10 or 11 at night. With the kids, there just isn't much opportunity to do it together. This weekend we are at my brother's house in Maryland. One of the great things about visiting my brother's family is that the cousins have a great time playing together and it requires very little parental involvement. Therefore, David and I were able to go for a run yesterday knowing that our children wouldn't be too much of a burden on my brother and his wife.


I told David I would let him set the pace. I didn't want to push him too hard because that is one of the primary ways to get injured. And injury often leads to defeat for the beginner. We had decided to do four miles. I knew we would be walking quite a bit, so I figured with all the work he had been doing at the gym it should be doable. I shouldn't have let David set the pace. He instantly took off too fast. I made a comment about how I wasn't going to be able to keep up with him, but I quickly realized that he wasn't going to be able to keep the pace going either. He made the common mistake of starting with a pace that feels right in the beginning, but is really too fast. The fast starting pace and the viscous hills in my brother's neighborhood really took their toll on him. David ended up having to cut the run short at 3 miles.


I finished up my fourth mile and came back home, but realized when I got in the house that I really wanted to run some more. David acted as if I was nuts when I told him I was going out for some more. He has been telling everyone how I kicked his butt. But if there is one thing I learned from the beginning of that run, it is that once he gets fit, I will have no chance of keeping up with him. For now I can revel in my superior physical fitness, and when I no longer can, I will be his biggest cheerleader.

Total Miles In 2010 = 118.3

1 comments:

  1. Thank you for running with me